Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) and probiotics
Helicobacter pylori infects around 50% of the human population and is asymptomatic in 70% of the cases. The H. pylori infection occurs when the person is infected with H. pylori bacteria. Childhood is the period in which most H. pylori infections tend to be acquired especially in developing nations. H. pylori is considered to be the major cause of chronic gastritis and duodenal ulcer and an important cofactor in the development of gastric cancer.
Triple therapy, which consists of two antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor remains the recommended first-choice treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection. One major problem with this therapy, as well as with other H. pylori eradication regimens, is unsatisfactory eradication rates largely due to the increased resistance to antibiotics. In addition, adverse effects are experienced in up to 30% of patients receiving H. pylori eradication therapy and further contribute to treatment failure.
Several studies showed that the use of probiotics, “live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host” can help to overcome those problems. The use of probiotics as adjunctive treatment for H. pylori infection showed to be helpful in increasing the eradication rate and reduce the side effects of the treatment.
How Proflora Restore plus works
Proflora restore plus is a combination of probiotic yeast (saccharomyces boulardii), probiotic bacteria (14 different strains) and Fructo-oligosaccharides (prebiotic fiber).
Proflora Restore Plus works effectively on maintaining and restoring the balance of the intestinal microflora, which affect positively in preventing and/or treating different digestive disorders such as H. Pylori infections, acute diarrhea, antibiotic associated diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
The presence of the saccharomyces boulardii in the formulation boosts its effect on H. Pylori infections, where it works in several ways to help with the eradication of the infection and the reduction of the symptoms, including:
- Compete with the H. Pylori bacteria for the adhesion sites, thus decreasing the H. pylori attachment to gastric epithelial cell line
- Antimicrobial effect against H.Pylori bacteria
- Decrease in H. Pylori density and gastric inflammation
How Proflora restore helps
- Helps to improve H. pylori eradication rate & decrease the overall therapy-related side effects. ( 12% improvement in the eradication rate and 47% reduction in the therapy related side effects).
- Reduces the diarrhea associated with the use of antibiotic treatment.
- Reduces the duration, severity and the stool frequency of acute infectious diarrhea.
- Improves the different IBS symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, diarrhea and constipation.